Is there anything us gals can’t do? We can be moms, wives, bosses, you name it. In that spirit, we’ve compiled a list of baby toys and apparel that have all the signature characteristics we LOVE—eco-friendly, sustainable, made in the USA—and they’re also founded/run by some truly fierce female entrepreneurs. Take a look at these 6 incredible brands we're featuring and help a sister out with some Holiday gift purchases!
1. eco-kids: This family run business produces all-natural art supplies using natural, non-toxic ingredients and producing them all right here in the USA. Led by Cammie Weeks and her husband, eco-kids lives by their trademarked mantra: creative play the natural way. Cammie’s kids test their art supplies to ensure their products are fun for children, and great care is taken not only with the sourcing of ingredients, but in every detail from the packaging to working with other environmentally friendly companies from all over the USA.
2. Garden Kids: This company was actually founded in 1994 by an environmentally conscious momma who was looking to create fun children’s clothing using organically grown fabrics. In 2006, longtime customer Paula Skeen and her husband bought the company and continued the tradition of offering organic kid’s clothing produced in the USA. Paula had discovered Garden Kids after seeking healthy alternatives for her son who suffered from numerous allergies and sensitivities. All Garden Kids clothing is assembled and sewn in Los Angeles. They support fair wage practices and have been awarded the Green America Seal of Approval for their socially and environmentally responsible business practices.
3. Bannor Toys: Founded by momma Stacey Bannor and her husband Jesse, Bannor Toys creates beautiful handcrafted wooden toys designed to stimulate a child’s imagination. Their toys are designed and crafted in Madrid, and everything used in their creation is organic and made in the USA. The wood is responsibly harvested and finished with organic beeswax and flaxseed oil, leaving your child with a fun, durable, and heirloom quality toy that’s also gorgeous to look at.
4. Winter Water Factory: Created by Stefanie Lynen, Winter Water Factory creates organic kids’ clothing with bold and beautiful textile prints. They aim to produce high-quality products with a healthy planet in mind. Everything is made a few blocks form her home in Brooklyn, NY and great care is taken to ensure that they are able to continue to manufacture in their community and create local jobs. Their locally produced products also reduce shipping, packaging, and waste output. And the cute name? Stefanie and her sister used to bottle up melted snow and sell it to their parents as “winter water.” How cute is that? That fun and whimsical spirit still shines through in all of Stefanie’s fun and fresh fabric designs.
5. Go Gently Nation: Founder Kristin Coia created Go Gently Nation while pregnant with her first child after discovering that there was a huge need for organic and sustainable baby apparel that was also stylish, high-quality, and simple. She started with a small line of clothing, but eventually it evolved into Go Gently Nation, which has now expanded to apparel and accessories for the whole family. All products are ethically produced in Los Angeles CA using organic and sustainable fabrics, recycled paper tags, certified water-based inks, low-impact dyes, recycled fabric remnants, and eco-friendly business practices. Kristin and her family also live their organic and sustainable lifestyle philosophy at home. Now, that’s a brand we can get behind!
6. Cocoongoods: Not to toot our own horns or anything, but no list of eco-friendly girl power brands would be complete without giving ourselves a little shout-out. Here at Cocoongoods, we create and curate environmentally conscious softgoods that are crafted with care, all while reducing our environmental footprint through smart design, sensitive sourcing, and empowering local makers. Our fearless leader, Rachel Dacks founded the brand as she set out to create heritage products for kids that would last, like our Full Heart Stuffed Pairs and Primtone Teethers. Everything from our sheets to our paints and more are created or curated with safety, the environment, and true quality in mind.